Wednesday 22 May 2019

Major Project: Gecko Vivarium Substrate

My initial idea was to create the clayballs substrate layer purely using texturing, but when painting and trialing this out I just wasnt getting the results I wanted, so I decided to model it. I researched how to fill an object with other smaller objects, so they would fall and arrange themselves naturally, and discovered this tutorial on MASH dynamics. I made my base clayball shapes and added a base to the vivarium model, playing around with trying to get it to work.






I got to this stage and just couldnt get the items to drop/move. Im not sure where I went wrong, but they just wouldnt move. 


I was however a little worried about the amount of items/polygons this would create in my scene, so instead of continuing on with this method, I decided to cut my losses and simply manually arranged the clayballs myself. I did one row deep and then duplicated and resized till I got something I was happy with, and then duplicated and rotated to create the side views too. The soil substrate later is tucked backwards behind the clayballs so its not just empty space..




No comments:

Post a Comment