Friday 1 March 2019

Pips Pet Post #7 - Spyro the Bearded Dragon

I own two bearded dragons, Spyro and Charlie, both who I re-homed from owners who no longer wanted them, and both who came to me in less than ideal health and housing. However, Spyro's issues go beyond improper care, and he is a prime example of bad breeding. He has skeletal deformities he was most likely born with, which may have worsened over time, and probably shares with some of his clutch mates. Upon looking at him, it is clear he is a bearded dragon and to someone who doesn't know the species too well, not much seems too off, however especially when placed next to a non-deformed beardie, his issues become very apparent.
His key deformities are his skull is stunted, causing a squashed snout and bulging eyes, not unlike the issues that cause pugs to have their signature flat face, his body is very wide but very flat, and his tail is twisted over on itself, and at some point has lost his tip, probably getting it hooked on something and snagging when younger. 





This is Charlie, who has a much more "normal" head and body structure. 



I also owned a thrid Bearded Dragon for a few months, who I named Saphira. She was given to me by a work colleague of my mum, their son was going away to uni and they no longer wanted her. I told them I would likely be unable to look after her long term, purely becasue of space issues. Bearded dragons require a minimum 4ft vivarium, at at that time I also had 2 other dragons, and 4 skinks and corn all in 4fts, and some 3ft viv animals and it was getting pretty cramped. She had a stunted tail but apart from that was in pretty great shape, so I knew also there was no excuse for me not to be able to rehome her as she had no medical issues, and was only 5 years old. I kept her for a few months while casually looking for a forever home, I was in no rush to rehome her, I just wanted to find someone I felt would give her adequate care, and turned away a few people before settling on a family whose 11 year old son had wanted a dragon for 6 years, who could answer my care questions and seemed lovely. I rehomed her with her vivarium and accessories, I do miss her as she was such a sweetie, but I know shes getting more love and attention with them than I could provide her. 







No comments:

Post a Comment