Tuesday 16 October 2018

Minor Project - Environment Modelling #1 - Base Cabinets & Desk

I decided just to use my sketch of the side view as the orthograph, as it was pretty clear and defined, so I really didn't need to waste time "prettying" it up in Photoshop when its fine as it is.
I wanted to make sure everything was kept to scale, to be an accurate representation of my room, Initially I tried playing around in Maya for a bit to try see if there was a way I could set measurement values so I could simply type values into the scale boxes to set object sizes, to make sure everything was the right size and to set my orthographs correctly so the width/depth/height ratios weren't distorted, leading to an odd looking model. However this wasn't working quite how I wanted, so in the end I just used the grid as units of measurements, my room us 5.5m wide and 3.75m deep, so I set the orthograph to fit to 11 grid blocks wide and 8.5 deep, keeping the ratio correct. I also then scaled the height in this way before upturning the side orthograph so I know my objects will be the right height, and matched the room edges with the base ortho. 


Initial modelling process. I'm keeping lots of separate layers as I go as I know this will make things easier for me to to isolate and change objects in the future when it gets to fine tuning, for now I just need to focus on blocking. A lot of very minor details I will be adding through texturing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment